Thursday 1 December 2016

The Ungrateful Reader

In 2014 I wrote a post about a readers Christmas List. It can be difficult for those who do not share your love of reading to understand that, a book would be the perfect gift. My post was half jokingly trying to explain that a book to me, and to other readers, is one of the best gifts you can buy.

It's not that your other gift isn't lovely, in fact I will probably end up wearing/using it more than anything else. However, books have become more and more of a luxury that I can't afford. Titles I really want to read are £10 a pop and those moments like Christmas and Birthdays are the ones I look forward to in the hopes of a book!

I cannot make excuses for my behaviour last year, I was very sulky with my Christmas gifts. I received two books. A ton of other amazing presents; but just two books. Buying for family that you no longer live with can be difficult because, unlike your friends, you don't really know any of your family's likes and dislikes or new hobbies they haven't told you about. I would like to think that people know me as a reader, and to not get me a book made me feel like my family didn't know who I was.

Of course, this is not something to whine about. I can buy my own books every year but I think the take away should be if you know someone likes books, go for it, buy them a book or something book related and you can't go wrong. Maybe it seems boring, but that isn't the case, a book presents endless hours of reading and enjoyment, that's the true gift.

Avoid the ungrateful reader this Christmas and pop into Waterstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment