Thursday 24 March 2016

February Reviews

It was a bad month for reading. I finished Lila at the start, and then moved on to Emma. I found both extremely tedious and they both took a long time. Although, They both deserve some plus points because I finished them and persevered.

I'm hoping that Easter Weekend is going to full of book reading! Bring on the weekend.


Lila
Marilynne Robinson
1/5
Virago 07/09/2014 Hardback
Christmas Haul
One of the Man Booker Shortlisted books this year should have wowed me. I'll agree that it was very beautifully written. I would say it was enjoyable to read, except that it was absolutely crammed with Christian references which I found alienating and uninteresting. I realise that this is the third in a trilogy, so that may account for some of the times I felt like this was just an extended round up.
There is nothing to the story except some religious musings and a few references to passed events. This one has nothing much going on.
It manages a single point because I did finish it. But I wish I hadn't and that it had joined my list of books not to waste my time on. Far too Biblical for my tastes, if I wanted someone thoughts on the old testament I'd go chat to a priest.

Emma
Jane Austen
2/5
Wordsworth Classics 1815 Paperback
Library
For the first time (in forever...) Jane Austen has let me down! Has anyone else felt this way about Emma? I loved Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, why did I stumble at the third hurdle? Well. I knew from the start that Emma is supposed to be magnificently unlikeable so that when she has her big transformation we all enjoy how much she's learnt.
Unfortunately, I just got bored waiting for her to come to her senses. and when she did it felt insincere somehow. one point for Jane Austen and another for finishing it, but there was not much else that I enjoyed about Emma. ranking as a firm third place out of the three I've read.
I still hope to read another one. Which one next?

No comments:

Post a Comment