Saturday 21 December 2013

The Alphabet in Books - V

V is for Vathek

Vathek
William Beckford
Paperback
2/4
Borrowed from sister

Vathek was written at a time when the Arab world was exciting and new. Arabian nights had just been translated into English and was inspiring writers and artists. It is a Faustian tale with the added character of a devilish mother. I did not enjoy this book. I liked the descriptions of all things luxurious and pleasurable. And even the eternal torments were well described, but without any feeling it seemed. It just seems uninspiring in its writing style. There was very little to go on in terms of character and I found it quite biblical: begot Simon, begot John, begot Adrian, begot Ahmed, begot Roger, begot Dave.

I did manage to finish the book in case something interesting happened, but I found it neither frightening nor gripping. Not a Halloween read I would recommend. There are two more books in the collection to go and I am hoping for more chilling tales. Perhaps there was something about the setting that made it difficult to feel Halloweeny. I associate fear with cold shivers and misty moors, Vathek is set some where in the desert or middle east and no one is ever cold with fright and the setting didn't suit the Gothic feel I wanted. Can anyone recommend a book that takes place in the heat and is frightening for next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment