Thursday 16 July 2015

Being Undervalued


This sums up what I experienced in the last two weeks of my previous job. I have worked under some pretty mad conditions. 

I was rarely paid on time, I had no office (worked from home full time, which basically means a 70 hour week), I was doing 3 people's work on my own, I became self employed and demanded my gross salary because they were illegally not paying my tax in the UK, but beyond everything my CEO had zero interest in my input AND had no idea what I was doing. 

EXAMPLE
After I handed in my notice, an announcement of a big partnership with another publisher was announced on social media and got picked up by lots of industry websites. My CEO sent me a link to one asking if I had anything to do with this project. Yup. That's me, like I told you it would be. Good to know you weren't listening for the past two months.

I told him and the rest of the team that there was a big partnership coming up. He either wasn't listening OR just didn't understand the value of the work I was doing. So it really surprised me. I have done as much as I could to prepare for the first stage of the partnership but there is a lot left to be done. And unfortunately my replacement only had one week in hand over because, guess who, is pretty disorganised and hadn't hired her yet. 

The partnership was also the only income that the company would generate outside of investments. Just before my senior manager left the company she suggested that I might get a bonus for the contributions that my hard work had made to the company. Then because she foresaw the bizzare plans, pulled out. That was the moment that I stepped up the job applications.

Those last two weeks were the most frustrating days of all. I truly gave zero fucks and why should I? 

Being undervalued for your work is not worth it. Especially if you are working hard OR working REALLY REALLY well. Anyway. New job. New start. I am prepared to start all over again for the privilege of a desk, office banter, procedure, a commute, annual leave and sick pay. 

*drops mike*

1 comment:

  1. It's always awful never to be appreciated for your work. You did a good job leaving that company, they don't deserve hard working people when they don't know how and who to appreciate. Your hard work in Movellas is still appreciated by some members, pity this company doesn't know how to recognize good employees. All the best for the future.

    ReplyDelete