Thursday 6 August 2015

Man Booker Shortlist Prediction! 2015

Last week the Man Booker long list was announced. The shortlist is coming out on the 9th of September so I've put it in my diary and I am on the look out for my invite to the announcement night. Just a heads up to any publishers reading... I would love to go.

So I've had a couple days to peruse the list and secretly reading reviews at work... in my lunch hour of course. The shortlist is always a bit more interesting than the long list and definitely gets the most prestige so I am really looking forward to the decisions. I thought I'd take the lull to think about my predictions for the short list, based purely on reviews.

There have been a lot of articles about the US books on the list dominating and elbowing out the opportunities for the smaller (only a bit) UK market of authors. But to me it looks like a really good spread, and I'm excited. But that's just my opinion, any way here is my first prediction of the Man Booker short list. It is ALSO my new Amazon wish list in case any of you want to get me a present; or maybe I'll buy my self a lil present or six.

1. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
Seemingly pinned as an early favourite, this story looks like it might be quite intense based on the trauma suffered by one member of a group of four room mates travelling to New York. Sounds a bit like it might be one awful memory after another but everyone seems keen.

2. The Illuminations by Andrew O'Hagan
The only UK book that I'm interested in, purely for personal reasons as it centers around a character with dementia, which my grandmother had for many years. The novel looks into the way we remember and I think it sounds like a touching story that I would love to read.

3. The Chimes by Anna Smaill
Dystopian, alternate London, mind control. I mean, it sounds great and I think this will be the one that finds its way into teen hands very quickly. I love any book that takes place in a city I know even if it's an augmented reality through the story so I can't wait for this one. It seems like the only different story that doesn't follow the usual Man Booker style which means its a great story and well written to catch the judges eye.

4. Sleeping on Jupiter by Anurdaha Roy
An abused young lady returns to her village in India and examines violence, through her relationship with three older women. Very female centric I am fascinated by this one. I find the topic really interesting, I've enjoyed several books based in India and I think this one will do well in the press which means it could be a strong contender.

5. The Moors Account by Laila Lalami
From the perspective of a slave on a ship on its way to conquer Florida. I love historical fiction so this one should be interesting, I'm intrigued where the story will go.

6. Lila by Marilynne Robinson
Everything changes when a woman walks into a church. I know nothing else about this story but I love the idea that everything can change with two people meeting in that setting.


I hope to see at least a few of these on the final shortlist and I will endeavour to read some of them before the 9th of September. Fingers Crossed for all the authors.

No comments:

Post a Comment