Thursday 5 February 2015

Finding a job is a full time job.

Job hunting? Is it taking over your life? No time to apply because of full time job?

Well, I hear this all the time. Finding a job is a full time job, if you are applying with blanket applications. Something I've found is that when you REALLY want a particular job then the application process is easy, you buzz through a cover letter with enthusiasm and perk up your CV.

The full time slog comes when you just need anything. So my biggest piece of advice for job seekers is cherry pick very carefully and get excited about every job application. You know it's the right one for you if you are already thinking of interview research you'd like to look at from the company.

I'd advise persistence and multiple applications when going for internships, but not for real jobs. (It doesn't cut it and it's really obvious.) If you do not have a job already, then you have the time to apply well. NO EXCUSES.

Many of my graduate friends had lamented to me that looking for a job is so time consuming they can't fit it into their daily lives. Now comes the decision then. Do I stay where I am until my next job falls into my lap/I get promoted? OR do I "Get the fear" and quit my job without a new job offer and dedicate the next month to finding something.

Now, sometimes the fear is a great motivator, but that's a huge risk depending on your circumstances. Can you pay your rent without an income for how ever long it takes to find a job? Do you have a back up plan if everything fails. It's generally pretty good practice to make sure your back up plan is less preferable than your current situation otherwise you could find yourself at your parent's door looking for a cushy hand out. (No one likes that guy.)  Make sure you can quit safely.

Unfortunately the sad truth is that you CAN make time. When I was job hunting the biggest piece of tough love I got was "Stop whining, have you really got no time? are you really pushing hard enough? Get on with it." And they were totally right, I wasn't. I was discouraged and was ignoring job emails.

Work ethic is such an important thing to value. I realised that something I always found attractive in people is their approach to work. Find that work ethic in your self and it will make you happier because at least you are trying!

Inject yourself with a new boost of enthusiasm and I promise job hunting will get easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment