Thursday 1 January 2015

Review Round Up

These are all the books I forgot to write reviews for this year and I hate to leave anything behind. 2014 has been my best year for reading, on my commutes and while I'm tucked up in bed I have read more than ever and I am so proud of it!  Granted Serial Podcasts and Netflicks have been gloriously distracting, and I haven't managed to read as much as I would have liked, I've still read more than last year. Not only have I read more, but I have really got to read for pleasure and that little treat is worth celebrating.

These are the books I still haven't reviewed from 2014. Here's to the books I will read in 2015!

Her 
Harriet Lane
Orion 12/06/14 Hardback
9/10
Bought with my own money!

I absolutely loved 'Her'. Another triumph from Harriet Lane after her brilliant debut with Alys, Always. I read her first book at uni which was my first taste of the psychological thriller. My new favourite genre. I've been seeking out books like that one for a year or so, listlessly picking up Gone Girl in the hopes that it might come close.
Finally my prayers were answered with Her. I have been recommending it to all starry eyed friends who mention children or motherhood. The two mothers in this book just can't cut a break! At one end is a teenager who is drifting swiftly away from her mother; tragedy. The other is a new mother totally worn out beyond recognition with a toddler and new born. Who would put them selves in the unfortunate position of motherhood? I loved this mature and dark insight into family life.
The two women are connected. Or were connected. This book pulls on the threads of a friendship bracelet long forgotten. The ending was stark and surprising and nothing less than a Harriet Lane classic. Unable to contain my love of this book I have given it away to a good home, which is why I stalled when starting to review it.



Three Men in A Boat
Jerome K. Jerome
J.W. Arrowsmith 1989 Kindle Edition
7/10
Kindle Download

"It's a good rule after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one until you have read an old one in between."  C.S Lewis. This is my new philosophy, if I can. A New Years Resolution to read more classics. I've got new books coming out of my ears and I still love the old ones. I can't wait to read more.
This is my first one which I picked up as part of my classics regime. An old favourite of my step-dad's this hilarious romp through a series of mishaps while friends go on a trip is the quintessential English holiday in 223 pages. I was handed this book for it's opening chapter when the characters are each introduced through their hypochondriac tendencies. I love a good injury, I've convinced my self that my foot is broken over the christmas holidays, my lungs are under developed and my skin is a disaster. (I'm perfectly healthy). I love the classic and real characters in this book, they are genuinely, old time funny.


There Will Be Lies
Nick Lake 
Bloomsbury 1/1/14 Hardback
6/10
(Movellas)

This little beauty is out this week and I was lucky enough to grab a pre-publication gander at it. Nick Lake's new thriller has a touch of the magical about it, well more than a touch. This story is incredible without all the fantasy running along side, so the result it an extravaganza. A piece of teenage escapism that really stands out on the shelf thanks to the glorious cover designers at Bloomsbury.
It is very definitely a YA novel, and I felt that constantly as I read it. I thought, gosh if I was 5 years younger this might really affect me. As it is I thought it lacked the finess of great writing, it felt almost slapdash, and oh well, because it's only an imaginative teenage romp through the coming of age process. I thought it lacked sophistication.

No comments:

Post a Comment