Thursday 19 July 2018

March Reviews

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Jean-Dominique Bauby
4/5
Editions Robert Laffont Mar 19917 Hardback
Borrowed from work

It is one of the joys of starting a new job, that is slowly gets around the office that I'm a reader. By my 6th month I had a stack of books on my desk donated from the rest of the office. One of which was this.
I consider this book to be one of those essential reading books it has been on my radar for many years and as communication becomes more and more interesting to me, I was thrilled to have it at my fingertips.
If you haven't heard of it, the story follows  Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers from locked-in syndrome after a stroke. Unable to speak or move he communicates only with movements of one eye and moans.
I really enjoyed the book it was poignant and not at all the disheartening slog it could have been. The authors voice is so readable and as a modern classic, I would definitely suggest it.


Exit West
Mohsin Hamid
3/5
Hamish Hamilton Mar 2017 Hard back
Christmas Present

It is always a delight to get Christmas presents from friends. I opened this well before Christmas because I was ill and dived into the hardback copy.
I can definitely see why it was on the shortlist of the booker prize 2017. I enjoyed the eye opening look at how refugees debate the leave and setting up a whole new life with nothing. It's a very interesting look at life and humanity in crisis and how countries interact.
The writing was very 'novelly' it definitely felt like a Booker book. Perfectly suited for a gift to any reader, however it did not give me the wow factor and is the kind of book I might forget about. A good read but not personally impactful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment